UTAS MyLO is the online learning environment at the University of Tasmania. MyLO stands for My Learning Online. It is a BrightSpace D2L platform.
For all units with an online presence, UTAS MyLO is the system used to host the Unit’s online materials and activities. How MyLO is used depends upon the requirements and approaches of the Unit and its teaching staff.
How to log into UTAS MyLo
This guide tells you how to navigate to and around UTAS MyLO.
- From the top of the UTAS main page (www.utas.edu.au) or the Current Students page (www.utas.edu.au/students), click the MyLO link.
- Then click the green and blue MyLO logo on utas.edu.au/mylo.
- Log in with your UTAS email address and Password.
- The MyLO “My Home” page will open. This page lists all the MyLO units you have access to. You can get to these units via the Waffle “Unit Selector.”
- You may find there are a lot of units listed. Some of these are just as useful resources – they don’t include anything you must complete as part of your studies (e.g., Turnitin & Academic Honesty, Getting Started in MyLO, LIST: Library & Information Skills Tutorial).
- The units you have enrolled in for your degree – “award units” – have a code name of three letters followed by three numbers, e.g., CAD002.
- You can return to “My Home” from any unit by clicking the link at the top left of every MyLO page.
- Explore your units. Click on the various tools and links: Content, Discussions, etc. You’re unlikely to break anything, and you won’t get lost — you can return to the “front page” of any unit by clicking the unit name (to the right of the “My Home” link).
A range of help can be found on how to use UTAS MyLO tools within MyLO. Click on Help & Resources to take you specifically. Student-specific resources can be found here underneath the Library & Learning Support link or within MyLO itself. Contact the UTAS Service-Desk or drop in at the Library on Hobart and Launceston campuses if you need help with this.
The University of Tasmania requires that all units are taught and delivered using the University of Tasmania Blended Learning Model. The University provides a Learning Management System (LMS) – Brightspace by D2L – to deliver the online components of these units. This LMS uses the name MyLO (My Learning Online) for University of Tasmania units.
The University of Tasmania’s (UTAS) Blended Learning Model aims to provide students with a learning experience that reflects their expectations of 21st-century technology.
Regardless of their location, timetable, and mode of study, students should access core information about their units and courses, communicate with teachers and peers, access high-quality resources, and receive feedback on their progress.
The UTAS Blended Learning Model comprises three core features:
- A series of high-quality online resources, tailored and developed by UTAS and you and the students themselves, open educational resources, and administrative and student support resources opportunities for synchronous and asynchronous interactions – peer to peer, student-teacher, and teacher to student.
- Opportunities for high-impact learning, delivered on campus, as fieldwork or practicum, or fully online.
- The model also encourages sharing of academic resources and collaboration with the broader academic community.
How to self-enroll via discover course catalog IN UTAS MyLo
The Discover Course Catalog displays a list of active non-award and development units and programs within UTAS MyLO, enabling you to self-enroll in units that will help with your studies and professional development while at the University of Tasmania.
Check the Discover Course Catalog for non-award units if you do not have access to them in MyLO. From here, you can enroll in the Unit yourself and have immediate access. The Discover Course Catalog has several units for staff and students, including Getting Started in MyLO, Turnitin and Academic Honesty, and the Work, Health, and Safety unit.
- Log in to UTAS MyLO. On the Navigation bar, there will be a menu called Discover Course Catalog. Click on it.
- A range of units will be available for you to enroll in, such as Work Health and Safety, Turnitin and Academic Integrity, and the Getting Started in MyLO unit.
- To enroll in a unit, you can press any tile or use the search function to find a specific unit. This will bring up more information regarding the unit. Click on Enrol in Course.
- You will receive an on-screen confirmation message once you have enrolled. You will have immediate access to the Unit from within the Discover tool by selecting Open Course.
- You will also access this Unit via the My Units Widget by selecting the appropriate semester or using the search function within the Select a Unit Waffle in the navigation bar. Pin the Unit if you want to be able to access the Unit easily.
- Note that once you have enrolled in a unit, this will not appear in the Catalog when searching unless you change your filter to show all the units you have already enrolled in. By default, you will only see the units you have not enrolled in.