Tufts Canvas is the Learning Management System used at Tufts University. It provides a collaborative space for course content, assignments, and grading.
Canvas is also the platform used by Tufts Online courses and programs. Most, but not all, instructors will host course material (syllabus, readings, review questions, etc.) on a Canvas course site.
In October 2017 Tufts begun a three-year transition to Canvas, a learning management system (LMS) that replaced Trunk and Tufts University Sciences Knowledgebase (TUSK). Some courses at some of Tufts schools (Cummings) also use TUSK as a supplementary learning management system. Check out the important dates and deadlines on the tufts academic calendar.
Access to Canvas and relevant courses materials is achieved by logging on to canvas.tufts.edu with your Tufts Username and a password.
Table of Contents
How to log into tufts canvas
To access the Tufts University canvas learning management system,
- Navigate to login.canvas.tufts.edu.
- Click on Tufts Login.
- On the canvas login page, enter your Tufts username.
- Next, enter your Tufts Password.
- Click “Login” to access your tufts canvas courses.
Most courses are created using Tufts SIS (Student Information Systems) that generate course names based on terms, departments, and section numbers, and courses with similar names may be hard to distinguish.
Course nicknames appear in the Dashboard, Course Navigation Menu, course breadcrumbs, and notification emails.
A course nickname does not affect the course name at the account or course level; it only changes the name of the course for the individual user who created the nickname.
If you need to know the original name of the course, you can hover over the nickname and the original name will appear. Additionally, the course code is not affected and always displays on the course card for course reference.
To nickname your canvas dashboard cards;
- Navigate to your Tufts Canvas Dashboard.
- Click on the Properties Icon (3 vertical dots) for the class card you want to nickname.
- This displays the properties panel for that class card.
- Edit the Nickname box, then click Apply.
How to organize your tufts canvas dashboard
When you have an account on more than one Canvas course, you can customize the active courses you want to show in your Canvas Dashboard by creating a “favorite” list in your Courses / All Courses.
When no courses are favorited (the default), the courses list automatically displays up to 20 courses alphabetically in the Dashboard.
To create a favorite list of the courses you want to be displayed on your Tufts Canvas Dashboard:
- Go to Courses, then select All Courses. This displays all of the courses on which you have an account.
- Click on the Star icon for each couse you want to display on your Dashboard. Clicking on the Star will turn the star icon red indicating that this is a “favorite” and you want it listed on your Canvas Dashboard.
- Go to your Dashboard. Your Favorite courses are now the only courses listed on the Dashboard.
How to add additional email to your tufts canvas account
When you add an additional email address in Tufts Canvas, you can use that email address as a way to receive Canvas notifications. By default, notifications are sent to your Tufts email address. However, you can add an additional email address if you do not want to use your existing email address or want to use an additional email for notifications.
- In the Global Navigation click Account, then click Settings.
- In the Email Addresses section, click Add Email Address.
- Type in the email address you want to add in the text field. When you are finished, click Register Email.
- Open your email account you just added.
- Click the link that is in the email to finish registering the additional email address. You may have to check your junk mail folder.
- If you need to resend the confirmation, click the Re-Send Confirmation link.
- To delete the email address, click the Delete icon.
- Click the OK button.
- Once your additional email address has been confirmed, you can go to Account / Notifications and set your Canvas notifications for that email address